UK Marine Aquarium

This is a marine forum for anyone interested in keeping marine aquariums. Or just general discussions about marine aquarium

HomeHome  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  Log in  

Share | 

Copperband Butterfly

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Admin
Admin

PostSubject: Copperband Butterfly   Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:10 pm

One of my books tells me that tha copperband only survive for around six months in an aquarium but this one has been in my 100g tank for 2 years and is doing fine,
It will only eat myiss and brine shrimp,
plus keeps nuisance anemonies away,
very pieceful fish a good fish to have.

Original Posted By Marine67 (I had to move it sorry marine 67 will still credit it with your name)
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://marinesuk.forumotion.com
marine67

PostSubject: Copperband   Tue Nov 20, 2007 5:16 am

Scientific Name: Chelmon rostratus Common Names: Copperband Butterflyfish, Copperbanded Butterflyfish, Beaked Butterflyfish, Beaked Coralfish, Orangestripe Butterflyfish Max. size: 20.0 cm TL (male/unsexed) Environment: reef-associated; non-migratory; marine; depth range 1 - 25 m Distribution: Western Pacific = Andaman Sea to Ryukyu Islands and Australia. Morphology: Dorsal spines (total): 9; Dorsal soft rays (total): 28-30; Anal spines: 3; Anal soft rays: 19-21. Easily identified by the yellow banding and long snout. Juveniles similar to adults. Distinguished from C. marginalis by its color pattern and number of dorsal fin rays (fewer in C. rostratus. Biology: A common species found singly and in pairs along rocky shores and coral reefs; also in estuaries and silty inner reefs. Territorial species. Aquarium Care: This species, unfortunately, has varied survival rates in captivity. Some hobbyists find this species difficult due to the variance of hardiness. Each specimen would have to be looked at as an individual. Some specimens acclimate to their new environment within a few days and start to eat fresh and frozen foods, while others refuse to eat or accept any foods other than live. There are some aquarists that can salvage this fish, and even hand feed them. Keep with non-aggressive tankmates. The Copperband Butterflyfish will be aggressive toward members of the same or similar species, unless a male-female pair. May nip at LPS, some soft corals, and zoanthids. Usually safe with SPS. Great for control of Aiptasia spp. and polychaete worms. Live foods may be needed to get the Copperband to eat. These include live freshwater clams or black mussels with their shells broken open. They should be offered mysid shrimp, marine fish, crustacean and frozen carnivore preparations.
Back to top Go down
View user profile

Copperband Butterfly
Page 1 of 1